Monday, May 2, 2011

Cannot rejoice in someone else's death....

Almost everyone on Facebook is overwhelmed with the joy of the murder of Osama.  And I am disturbed by it.  While I understand what Osama did was HORRIBLE and UNFORGIVABLE, and has caused more pain and suffering than anyone could ever comprehend, but is it really justified?  Do people know that he, too, had young children?  Somewhere there are daughters and sons mourning the loss of their father.  (Insert the standard reaction of..."How many sons and daughters over here cried when he killed their parents?  How many sons and daughters were born afterwards that never met their parents?)  I get it....I just don't believe that one death (or thousands of deaths) justifies another.  And do we really think that it is "over" now?  I fear this is only the beginning...that we are walking down a very unstable bridge and it will break. 
And what are we teaching the next generation?  What will you tell your children about this?  Will we say that "This time it was ok to hit back because he hit us first?"  I am sad.  Really, really sad.

UPDATED....Thank you Schevone

"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy. Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that." --Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments: