Thursday, March 1, 2012

To Paci or Not To Paci


We have a paci-problem in our home....and it's time to kick it.  Austin is addicted... I mean co-dependent... I mean completely reliant on his paci.  Or, as you can see from above, several pacis.  I count 12 that I know of, but could only locate 9 for their photo-op.  I know that some of you might be mortified that my 2 1/2 year old still totes this luxury, but hey, he is my last baby and I am letting him do everything a little slower than the girls. The girls at this age where also in toddler beds where he is still in his crib, and they were both at least in pull-ups where Austin is still figuring out how to sit on his potty.

So after picking Austin up from daycare today, I tried to have a conversation with him about the Paci Fairy and about how she was going to come and take Austin's paci's to the babies who do not have any.  And he took the paci out of his mouth to say, "Uh-Uh, pacis go to Santa Claus".  Ummm....Santa?  In March?  So, I then asked if we could give them to the Easter Bunny who could pass them along to Santa.  Out popped the paci again long enough to say "Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer".  Oh, he is really going to make this tough on me.  See, we can't drag this habit out until Christmas this year because Austin will be starting at St. Emily's in August with the girls, and I am pretty sure the 3's room does not allow for pacis.  So, with a big sigh and some thought, I am gonna have to figure out how Rudolph and Santa are coming for a mid-year visit to claim the pacis....but until then, I am more than content letting him go to sleep with one in his mouth, and one in each hand.....

Judge away, Judgey McJudergson, but I am he is just not ready.


Could you really take a paci away from that face?




4 comments:

Natalie said...

My Lily had a thumb problem. I totally understand. Hearts break when your take away the most comforting thing in the world. Good luck and proceed with caution :)

Allie said...

Christmas in July! I would totally put a tree and everything - this will make great memories for the entire family :)

Synchroqueen said...

I say leave him alone, he is just a baby! :-) No really... it sounds like he is not ready to give it up yet... as a former thumb-sucker, I think you should let it go for now... maybe talk about it again in a few weeks. xoxo to you all, Megs!! :-)

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

Both of my girls did the same thing with pacis: at around two weeks old, they showed a clear preference for a specific type of paci. I went out and bought approximately forty two of that exact kind. And they promptly decided they hated pacis, after all.

To add insult to injury, when I had them around the house for Katie, Gracie was all, "ooh la la, what's THIS???" And I was all, SORRY BUT THAT SHIP HAS SAILED.