Wednesday, March 30, 2011

They were wrong

I admire the medical profession.  They work hard.  They are WAY WAY smarter than I am or will ever hope to be.  And they can deal with blood.  That wins, hands down. 

However, a certain hospital, which rymes with Butheran Heneral, has now screwed me 2/2.  The first was about 2 months ago when we took Austin to the doctor with a fever and in pain, and they said it was a cold.  Follow up appointment the next morning with our regular peditrician, I mean less than 20 hours later, and it was really a major ear infection.  Ugg...

And now this one...see previous post about me nearly meeting our Maker.  Now fast forward two days where my headaches and chills are still not gone.  I don't want to pay for the ER again, so I decide to do the Walgreens Take Care Clinic.  The nurse runs down a list of my symptoms, same as the ER people did.  (it's like they were all trained the same or something.).  Then she runs down a list of tests they did.

Pretty Nurse:  Blood Work?
Me:  Yes, it was all fine
PN : Urine?
Me:  Yes, dehydrated, but fine
PN: Strep Test
Me:  Huh?
PN:  Did they do a strep test?
Me: No.
PN: No?
Me: (worried) No, I was pretty drugged, but I would have rememebered a giant q-tip in my throat.
PN:  You told them you had a fever, chills, headache, vomitting, sore throat, and they didn't do a culture?
Me: No.
PN:  (stares at me)

5 minutes later

PN:  Your test is postive
Me:  I've heard that one before  (FYI...she so didn't get that one...)

So...that makes 2/2 that Butheran Heneral has given the wrong diagnosis.  I wonder if they think because people are coming to the ER that it will automatically be something big and dramatic.  I will certainly make sure to note this on my survey.

PS  I really really do love medical people.  I am just slightly frustrated that twice now I have had to pay double for medical bills....

1 comment:

Crabby Apple Seed: said...

they also just killed a small infant with an egregious error followed by an inexcusable cover up.

...I say as a medical professional who KNOWS (the word believe is incorrect here) that the vast majority of medical malpractice lawsuits are unfounded. This one was inexcusable. And whatever, every hospital has a bad egg, but SRSLY: Northwest Community.