Thursday, March 17, 2011

46 Days Without Facebook

I gave up Facebook for Lent....what was I thinking?  My intent was originally that I would spend more time teaching, more time cleaning, maybe play an extra game or two with my kids.  I now find myself obsessively checking my e-mail.  Did I get an e-mail?  Did I get a notification from Facebook?  Did I get anything good in my Junk Mail?

My house is a little cleaner....I have played some mean rounds of Hi-Ho Cherry-O (which, BTW, now consists of oranges, cherries, blueberries, and I think, pears).  My students have gotten assignment graded in record time, yet I am still sad.  I know that we are not supposed to share the burden that our Lenten sacrifices have on our hearts, that these are supposed to be "our crosses to bear", but this one sucks.  I am a social person.  I like to talk.  I like to know whose kid did not sleep through the night, and which one of my friends are running the fastest mile.  My heart jumps a little when I see that red box with a number telling me I have comments, likes, event invitations.  It's almost like that "You've Got Mail" feeling from the late 90's; the excitement that someone noticed your e-mail and sent you a message. 

Fr. Dennis told us this week that Sunday and Saint days do not count towards the 40 days.  Then Bill asked if Jesus got to leave the wilderness for 6 days...point taken...I will continue on my Facebook-less quest...but I am starting a blog. I need some outlet, some way to show people I am still alive. 

2 comments:

Indigo Rush said...

You're doing a great job of staying away. It's a challenge and a struggle and not fun at all but it's obviously teaching you the importance of sacrifice which is so important. I need to do the same so that I can grade in record time!!!

MrsLandfald said...

Aww Meghan we miss you!!!!!Can't wait to have you back!!!But GOOD JOB!!!!(It's Allies Maureen))